Sunday 16 December 2012

Ritual


Most days are new to us.
Some are mundane.
And then there are rituals.





After having butchered nearly eight hogs,
much of the novelty has worn off.
But instead of becoming a loathsome chore,
it is now a ritual.




Music helps the work go quickly.
I wear headphones and play the mix from last year.
This is the only occasion that I listen.





There is comfort in knowledge.
No uncertainty that comes with learning new skills.
And the outcome is fairly certain.














 

2 comments:

  1. So ... what exactly are butchery tunes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a little ipod with a huge mix of music from my sister and brother-in-law.
      They have an extensive library of tunes.
      The music is a mix of bands like Metric, The Shins, Gorillaz, Lonely Island, Arcade fire, Belle and Sebastian, and other similar bands.
      There are lots of good beats, well written songs, and plenty of electronic music which I love.
      The first song that comes to mind is one by Lonely Island that is about a Carlos Santana Champagne.
      Rhythm to keep me working and humour for the spirit.

      Delete