Friday 6 April 2012

A Comment on Comments

Just before the pigs broke through the fence!











To those of you who have considered commenting on these posts but have decided against it,
please reconsider.

To those of you who would like to comment on an old post but feel that the time has passed,
I invite you to do so.

One of the purposes of this blog is to carry an important discussion.
The topics are timeless, and there are always new readers going back through past posts.
As much as we have grown, there is still a great deal to learn.  
We are building a homestead......not simply running one.

We need people to participate.
We need people to offer their opinion.
We need people to give advice.
I need people to take me to task on things that I say or do.
We need people to point out our mistakes.

Without your side of the story, we are truly alone.

So when you feel the urge to tell me what you really think,
but feel that I will be offended, don't stop.
I need you.

When you notice something I've done that's dangerous,
others need to know.

To those of you who have been commenting, 
keep up the good work.

To everyone who has been reading, 
you give me hope.
And for that,
I thank you!

Andrew

4 comments:

  1. Andrew, I read your blog every day and I love it. I even read it aloud to my husband who is a farmer himself. We also have 3 children (4, 2 1/2, 8 months)and, though we are not organic or self-sufficient, we think it's important to provide our family with good, home-grown and local "real" food and to raise our children to be environmentally aware. I think what you are doing is great and I will continue to follow your posts as you and your family strive for self-sufficiency. I hope that one day we have the courage to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kelly!
    Self-sufficiency for a family accustomed to a contemporary lifestyle is a challenging goal.
    We take big steps when we can, but sometimes it's the smaller achievements that gain ground.
    Whether or not we succeed is not as important as passing on our skills and experience to our children.
    Being a farming family, you have the great opportunity and responsibility to nurture your community. And though the lifestyle is known to be difficult, your resiliency is strong.
    I would like to hear more about your farm and family.
    Are you considering organic methods?
    My email address is avonzuben@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew and Kira:

    One of my employees was at a chicken show (or that's what he called it) at your place this passed weekend and we got discussing your way of life. He gave me the name of your blog today and I seriously have been reading almost all day! haha. I absolutely love it. I grew up on a farm my whole life, my parents actually live in Canarvan and their goal is to be off the grid asap,they already do their own beef, honey, maplesyrup, vegetables and have a solar ray. My fiancee and I are currently in the middle of selling his condo in the city and I've put notice in on my apartmnt in Uxbridge, we are looking into buying a 10 acre farm North of Whitby (he will still have to commutee to the city). Reading your blog has inspired me to continue planning to make ourselves as self sustainable as possible. Thank you so much!

    Leasha Schwab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leasha,
    It's great to hear about more young couples taking up the rewarding challenge of a self-determined lifestyle.
    You are welcome to come for a tour when you visit your parents.

    ReplyDelete