Saturday 5 October 2013

Transition


The only constant in the universe is change.
Yet we cling desperately to each moment.

Despite being faced with catastrophic climate change, global economic upheaval, continuous war, and widespread human tragedies, a quiet ignorance persists in our daily lives.

It is becoming painfully clear that the Western industrial way of life is coming to a close.
Even the mainstream media is reluctantly printing stories that allude to unavoidable crises in the near future.
Regardless of where you stand on the issues at stake,
change is inevitable.
It is the irrefutable law of the universe.

We argue about peak oil and energy policy.
We argue about food security.
We argue about the health of the global ecosystem.
We argue about economic strategies.
All the while, change continues to bear down on our way of life.

Change can occur in any number of ways.
It can come quickly, or gradually, peacefully or violently.
We can embrace change or attempt to reject it.
This could be the end, or the beginning.
The question is, do we rage against change,
or adapt?
It is a question of survival.

Not everybody is oblivious to the urgency of change.
At the risk of being marginalized by friends and family, thousands of people are quietly preparing themselves.
There are also those who are taking the message to the masses in the hope that imminent threats are taken seriously; often at great risk.
This is usually viewed as fear mongering.
But fear is relative to perception.
For some, change may mean being plunged into helplessness.
For others, change heralds a transition to a better world;
the opportunity to grow as a species and make amends for past wrongs.
Is it spreading fear or bringing hope?
Your answer may indicate how prepared you are for change.


 
 
How do you prepare for an uncertain future?

Prepare by building strength and resilience into your family and your community.
Look closely and you will see the weaknesses.
Poverty and hunger.
Disproportionate wealth distribution.
Growing energy costs.
A precarious standard of living.
Environmental degradation.
The hardening of our hearts and dissolution of community.

Even if you believe the threats as being little more than paranoid conspiracy theories, and that the world will carry on as is,
bear in mind society’s many frailties.
The same issues associated with preparing for change are the very debilities that remain outstanding as we struggle to maintain the social fabric.
Society, in itself, is our greatest strength, as we work together for the common goal of survival.
Why would we hesitate to take the steps forward that strengthen us all?
A healthy community is in everyone’s best interest.

Fostering strong and healthy communities ensures that change is met with
strength and determination.
After all, the spirit of cooperation has helped human civilization persevere through countless periods of great change throughout history.
 

 


















 
 

6 comments:

  1. Hope or Fear. You can definitely argue that this is perception, but there is an actual difference in the frequency of vibration. Fear vibrates at the frequency of the background music of most "end is near"' documentaries. You know, that music and that voice narrating...."be afraid, change or else"...then there is the hope that things are changing to make the world a better place, to redistribute the wealth, this vibration can be felt like a wash of divine energy...hope is a good thing...My hope is that I don't miss the Now, always thinking about the future...
    The world will carry on as is....until it doesn't, then change is here...When were societies able to prepare for a certain future anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Societies have had the opportunity to prepare for many great shifts, particularily wars.
      It's often the minority who prepares; those who are mindful of what the future may hold.
      The present is where we should be focused, but using the lessons of the past, with a careful eye on the future.
      My message here is to prepare for the future by addressing the needs of the present.

      Delete
  2. I suggest another way of looking at the world that can contribute internal peace and improve the effectiveness of our actions:

    1) Find gratitude in your heart for all that is right in the world rather than fretting over everything that is wrong - and express it to others.
    2) Go beyond anger and despair and forgive those who are causing the world't problems. While you are at it, forgive yourself for your complicities, freeing your inner strength and creativity.
    3) Serve others by following your passion. In the worlds of Albert Schweitzer, "I don't know what your destiny will be, but I know that the ones among you who will be really happy are those who have found how to serve."
    4) Find and follow your passion. The transition to a better world will come from many directions. You will be most successful in your contribution by doing what you love most; the fire in your belly is what drives you forward. As you lead, others will follow your example.

    While denial is not an option, having a positive outlook on life is. Once peace begins internally, we can begin to deal with the many urgent problems facing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regret that this post seemed angry or desperate, though I experience these emotions at times.
    Were I an utterly logical person, I would remain reclusive and withdraw from what seems to be a hopeless cause.
    Yet I have a positive vision of the future.
    Humanity at its heart is blessed with compassion and ingenuity.
    And though I am thankful for my own good fortune, I am saddened by all of those people who are caught in the wretched day to day drudgery.
    I fear that expressing too much gratitude will separate me further from those who we hope to inspire. Rest assured that I am grateful, especially to those selfless individuals who take compassion to their communities.
    I must, however, disagree with the notion that freedom from guilt and pain release creative potential; of course, I can only speak to my own experience.
    Pain and conflict drive creative expression.
    A person may be inspired by beauty, love or honour,
    but it is the cathartic acts of creation that help alleviate painful emotional burdens.
    My guilt, anger, frustration, despair, remorse, and fear,
    fuel my desire to change myself and my environment.
    The agony I experience every time I conflict with my own values,
    drives innovation, and galvanizes my resolve.
    I need my pain.
    But through my writing and my actions, I find peace in expression.
    And participating with others in my community to bring real change fills me with hope.
    Perhaps I should be expressing that hope in this space.
    Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this post as it was written. I took it to be a hopeful post, one of action and not despair.
    Thanks for putting this out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen.
      I certainly believe that readers will understand this type of post differently, depending on their point of view.
      I'm happy that you see the hope in it.

      Delete